If heavily bleeding please attend your nearest A&E department.
There are over 200 Early Pregnancy Assessment Units (EPAU) across the UK in NHS hospitals, and we are lucky to have a dedicated EPAU here at Liverpool Women’s Hospital. EPAU is a specialist unit that provides care for women with problems in early pregnancy (6-12 weeks).
The most common reasons women are referred to our EPAU are:
- Bleeding and/or pain with a positive pregnancy test
- Women with previous ectopic pregnancy
- 2 consecutive miscarriages in the preceding pregnancies
- For specialist care if a problem is suspected after an early pregnancy ultrasound scan in another setting.
- Assessment is by appointment ONLY
- Ultrasound scanning appointment times are from 8am – 4pm on weekdays, you will be offered the next available appointment time.
- We aim to offer an ultrasound scan within 72 hours of referral
- Access is via:
- Self-referral by telephone assessment on 0151 702 4140
- Clinical assessment in the Emergency Department
- EPAU is located on the ground floor via the entrance to Gynaecology Emergency Department (GED).